2022-2023 Dance at The Academy
Hello! My name is Ms. Mims, and this is my first year teaching at The Academy. I am a recent graduate of USC Aiken from Aiken, SC. I am very excited to be teaching dance to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students! I strive to teach dance in a way that builds self confidence, promotes art integration, and teaches valuable life skills.
Since the age of three, I have been trained competitively and professionally in tap, ballet, jazz, contemporary, hip-hop, lyrical, musical theatre, and modern dance. I also have several years of experience in theatre, cheer, and color guard. At USC Aiken, I served as a member and captain of the Dance Team for all 3 years I attended the University. I have taught several styles of dance at varying ages levels in multiple studios for approximately four years, and have served as the Middle/High school Dance teacher for the Aiken County Gifted and Talented Education with Artistic Youth program.
Throughout the school year, students are expected to engage in the following units:
6th Grade Dance: Students will become comfortable with dance movements through the understanding of dance elements: body, action, space, time, and energy. Students will briefly explore various genres of dance, observing and analyzing various styles and ideas.
- The elements of dance: Body (Creative Movement)
- The elements of dance: Action (Jazz Dance)
- The elements of dance: Space (Ballet)
- The elements of dance: Time (Percussive Dance)
- The elements of dance: Energy (Hip-Hop)
7th & 8th Grade Dance: Students will investigate important dance eras, their associated genres, and notable figures. Along the way students will be expected to demonstrate basic movements related to the era. Students will observe and analyze dance styles from various cultures.
- Jazz dance--history and important figures
- Tap dance--history and important figures
- Ballet dance---history and important figures
- Hip hop---history and important figures
- Modern dance---history and important figures
7th & 8th Grade V-PAC Dance:
- Dance analysis (response and communication through movement)
- Dance health
- Dessert Cabaret
- Veteran's Day program
- Spring showcase
- District showcase
Google Classroom Codes:
(1) 8th Grade V-PAC Dance:
(2) 8th Grade Dance:
(3) 7th Grade V-PAC Dance:
(4) 7th Grade Dance:
Dance Class Syllabi:
Copies of school-wide retake policies: